The Sturm Graz greek central defender believe in Olympiakos against Wolves
Tassos Avlonitis, now in his 30s, is a child he has known since he was a child, both happy and sad. He started from the local championships in Evia, then went to Egaleo, to Olympiakos. At Panionios, Panathinaikos, Harts and now Sturm Graz. So he succeeded and climbed as high as he could. He never forgets what a great role his father Antonis played in his life. He remembers or will probably never forget the double he won with Olympiakos in 2015. He believes that on Thursday Olympiakos can achieve another great achievement by eliminating the Wolves.
The central defender spoke to Discoveryfootball with Manos Staramopulos (English Editor) about everyone and everything:
1. First of all, when and where did you start playing football?
R/:«I started playing football at the age of five in the academies of my father and Mr. Soulis Pappas. I played in the local championships here in Evia until the age of 16 and at the age of 17 I switched to the professional categories and the team of Egaleo. (B national) «
2. How much did the fact that your father Antonis was also a football player affect you?
R/:«Certainly the presence of my father played a catalytic role in following the path of football and of course he was the one who guided me with his advice and instructions on the difficult path of football and I thank him for everything»
3. From the beginning of your career did you play as a central defender?
R/:«Yes, I remember as a child that I played in this position of central defender, it is also, a position that my father played who knew her better than anyone and constantly helped me to improve in that position»
4. What has been the best moment of your career so far?
R/: «Definitely the best moment of my career is the Double with the Olympiakos team in the year 2014/15!»
5. Last year in Austria you were named in the top eleven of Sturm Graz. Tell us about it…
R/: «Yes, I was named the top eleven of the decade for Sturm Graz, a very honourable and special moment for me! The selection of the eleven was the choice of the fans and I really want to thank you for that! I think that my effort to give my best on the field was highly appreciated! «
6. What are the differences between Austrian and Greek football?
R/: «In the Greek championship, tactics and patient play prevail more, in contrast to the Austrian one, in which the physical game and the direct effort for goals prevail! This is the reason for the many goals that come in every game in Austria! «
7. What is Sturm Graz’s goal for this year?
R/: «I think that this year’s goal of Sturm Graz is to go to Europe, but as in any country due to the coronavirus, everything will be unprecedented for each team!»
8. In Austria in all its categories, maybe more than 10 Greek boys, 2nd and maybe 3rd generation is competing. How does their football suit the Greek?
R/: «Yes, this is true and I can say with confidence that all the Greek boys who compete in Austria compete successfully and with a very good performance! I think it suits us even more in the defensive players «
9. You may know that the first Greek who played in Austria is Stelios Katrakylakis who in 1986 wore the jersey of Wiener and then Watens. And now Yianni ‘s son is coaching Wacker Innsburg K15.
R/: «I did not know this but I am very happy to learn it. It is also an opportunity for me to get in touch with Giannis in the future. «
10. On Thursday, August 6, Olympiakos, a team that you were in for 2 years, gives an extremely difficult away game, against the English, Wolves. What can he achieve?
R/: «I think that this year Olympiacos has really achieved a very great performance and with duration. «We saw it in the league but also in the games in Europe and from the moment it eliminated a team like Arsenal it really has no ceiling and I think that against Wolves, a very good team, it can make another huge achievement!»
R/: «As I said before, it is an unprecedented situation for all of us and because the qualifiers are alone, the freshest team will have a big advantage. So we may have a lot of surprises. «
12. Does much will coronavirus change our life at each level?
R/: «We are definitely experiencing the change but I cannot say what will happen in the future. However, the only sure thing is that it will be very difficult for us to return to the life we lived before coronavirus! «
The national team of Greece can qualify
in beautiful Qatar
13. The Greek national team will relatively soon start its matches for the 2022 World Cup to be held in beautiful Qatar. Do you think he has the potential to qualify?
R/: «The samples given by the national team of Greece with the renewal of its roster were positive and promising. I am sure that all the children will give their best for the qualification and I hope we will succeed! «
14. Will Qatar be a revelation for the World Cup, as until now the final phase has always been held in bigger countries?
R/: «Certainly we are used to such events taking place in much bigger countries, I do not know how much it will affect but it will definitely affect the temperature there!»
15. PAOK recently acquired the 29-year-old midfielder and leader of Rapid Vienna, Stefan Swab. Tell us your opinion about him as you have fought against him
R/: «I have faced him several times as an opponent and I can say that he is a leading player with great ease in the goal, especially with his head, and for me one of Rapid’s best players. It will definitely take some time to adjust. But I think he will present the samples he showed to Rapid during the 8 years he played there «.
16. Tell us about your personal plans, your family and if you have thought about what you will do when at some point you «hang up your shoes.
R/: «I will definitely want to spend time with my family when I hang up my football boots. This is the first thing I want to do. And then to think with a clear mind what I want to do. «I still have not thought about staying on the football field from another position, but all these are thoughts for now».